In 2012 there were 82.5 prescriptions for opioids and other narcotic painkillers written for every 100 Americans equaling a total of 259 million prescriptions. There were 46 deaths each day equaling 16,790 deaths a year as a result of those narcotic prescriptions.
With 70 million prescriptions for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) written each year, every single adult in the United State could be medicated for a month according to 2010 data.
Americans use twice as many opioids as Canadians, who won second place, behind the US for narcotics prescriptions.
There is a great risk of a life long addiction developing if given just a single course of the drug, according to CDC Director Tom Frieden.
Chicago and the two counties of Orange and Santa Clara, California have filed lawsuits on the behalf of the entire state of California against five drug companies that manufacture OcyContin, charging them with contributing to the epidemic level of drug abuse. There has been a tripling of the death rate in Santa Clara in the last decade due to the marketing plans the drug companies have been using over the decades. A marketing plan that’s created by the drug companies to create a market for these drugs that never should have existed, contended County Counsel Danny Cho. He would like the companies to pay for the high cost of treating overdoses and addiction in the public hospitals, similar to the manner in which the cigarette companies were forced to pay after being sued in the 1990s.
According to Chou, it is the drug companies that minimize the negative effects of their drugs, deceiving the patients who ask for these drugs from their doctors. Worse than that, the companies lie to the doctors about the risk and benefits, by manipulating the data in their drug testing. This makes it impossible for the doctors to know how best to prescribe for their patients.
There are cover ups by “front organizations” such as the Pain and Policy Group out of the University of Wisconsin that received $2.5 million from the drug companies that manufacture pain pills, working against stricter guidelines for there use.
Considering the avove, one would be wise to think twice before taking any of these narcotics. There are other ways to control one’s pain.
The first step is to fid out what is causing the pain because there are many instances when people feel pain, and it has an easy remedy. For instance, I know that I have had several clients who experience head aches and stomach pains only to find out that there was an emotional reason for experiencing them. In two cases it was because they had a parent that was over running their boundaries and creating so much stress, that the headaches formed. I have another client who had stabbing stomach pains caused by a trauma that she experienced when she was four years old. The remedy for her was to stay away from controlling and abusive men. These were figured out after all the tests for physical causes came back without a physiological reason. So the first step is to see your doctor and rule out any physiological reason.
If there is a physiological reason, there are many ways to treat pain that work with your body’s natural healing system. Here are 20 ideas to get you started from Dr. Mercola whose in depth article gave me the statistics stated above. You will learn much about how inflammation is formed woven in his ideas below. I would advise anyone who is interested in great health to sign up for Dr. Mercola’s free daily E-Newsletter to learn about diet, exercise and general health care. His information is well researched while being written in an easily understood manner, as you will find to be true in his writing below: you can sign up for his newsletter at: http://www.mercola.com/ and to read the entire article you may find it here:
In his article you will find hyper links to other postings that he has written further explaining the techniques involved.
Here are 20 Non-pharmaceutical Pain Relief Techniques:
1. Eliminate or radically reduce most grains and sugars from your diet. Avoiding grains and sugars will lower your insulin and leptin levels (leptin is what controls your appetite) and decrease insulin and leptin resistance, which is one of the most important reasons why inflammatory prostaglandins are produced. That is why stopping sugar and sweets is so important to controlling your pain and other types of chronic illnesses.
2.Take high-quality, animal-based omega-3 fat. Dr. Mercola’s personal favorite is krill oil. Omega-3 fats are precursors to mediators of inflammation called prostaglandins. (In fact, that is how anti-inflammatory painkillers work, they manipulate prostaglandins.)
3. By getting about 20 minutes of daily exposure to the sun a day you will optimize your production of vitamin D , which will work through a variety of different mechanisms to reduce your pain.
4. Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) is a drug-free approach for pain management of all kinds. EFT uses some of the acupuncture points helping you balance out your subtle energy system. It helps resolve underlying, often subconscious, negative emotions that may be worsening your physical pain. By stimulating yourself by tapping with your fingertips on well-established acupuncture points, you are able to rebalance your energy system, which tends to lessen pain. Find out more about this at: http://www.emofree.com/
5. K-Laser Class 4 Laser Therapy. If you suffer pain from an injury, arthritis, or other inflammation-based pain, Dr. Mercola strongly encourages you to try K-Laser therapy. A great choice for many painful conditions, including acute injuries. By getting to the underlying cause of the pain, there will no longer be a need to rely on painkillers. K-Laser is a class 4 infrared laser therapy treatment that helps reduce pain, reduce inflammation, and enhance tissue healing—both in hard and soft tissues, including muscles, ligaments, or even bones. The infrared wavelengths used in the K-Laser allow for targeting specific areas of your body, and can penetrate deeply into the body to reach areas such as your spine and hip. For more information about this groundbreaking technology, and how it can help heal chronic pain, listen to Dr. Mercola’s previous interview with Dr. Harrington here: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/07/28/k-laser-benefits.aspx
6. Chiropractic. Many studies have confirmed that chiropractic management is much safer and less expensive than allopathic medical treatments, especially when used for pain, such as low-back pain. Qualified chiropractic, osteopathic, and naturopathic physicians are reliable, as they have received extensive training in the management of musculoskeletal disorders during their course of graduate healthcare training, which lasts between four to six years. These health experts have comprehensive training in musculoskeletal management.
7. Acupuncture can also effectively treat many kinds of pain. Research has discovered a “clear and robust” effect of acupuncture in the treatment of back, neck, and shoulder pain, osteoarthritis, and headaches.
8. Physical and massage therapy has been shown to be as good as surgery for painful conditions such as torn cartilage and arthritis.
9. Astaxanthin is one of the most effective fat-soluble antioxidants known. Having very potent anti-inflammatory properties it works far more effectively than many anti-inflammatory drugs. You may need 8 mg or more per day to achieve this benefit.
10. Ginger: A potent anti-inflammatory offerering pain relief and stomach-settling. Use fresh ginger well steeped in boiling water as a tea or grated into vegetable juice.
11. Curcumin: In a study of osteoarthritis patients, those who added 200 mg of curcumin a day to their treatment plan had reduced pain and increased mobility. A past study also found that a turmeric extract composed of curcuminoids blocked inflammatory pathways, effectively preventing the overproduction of a protein that triggers swelling and pain.
12. Boswellia: Also known as boswellin or “Indian frankincense,” this herb contains specific active anti-inflammatory ingredients. This is one of Dr. Mercola’s personal favorites having seen it work well with many rheumatoid arthritis patients.
13. Bromelain: This enzyme, found in pineapples, is a natural anti-inflammatory. Though available as a supplement, it is better to eat the pineapple, including some of the bromelain-rich stem.
14. Cetyl myristoleate (CMO): An oil, found in fish and dairy butter, acts as a “joint lubricant” and an anti-inflammatory. Dr. Mercola has used this for himself to relieve ganglion cysts and a mild annoying carpal tunnel syndrome that pops up when he types too much on non-ergonomic keyboards. He used a topical preparation for this.
15. Evening primrose, black currant, and borage oils: Containing essential fatty acid gamma linolenic acid (GLA), useful for treating arthritic pain.
16. Cayenne cream: Also called capsaicin cream, found in dried hot peppers, it eases pain by depleting the body’s supply of substance P, a chemical component of nerve cells that transmits pain signals to your brain.
17. Medical cannabis has a long history as a natural analgesic. Currently 20 US states have legalized cannabis for medical purposes. Its medicinal qualities are due to high amounts (about 10-20 percent) of cannabidiol (CBD), medicinal terpenes, and flavanoids. Varieties of cannabis exist that are very low in tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)—the psychoactive component of marijuana that makes you feel “stoned”—and high in medicinal CBD. The Journal of Pain, a publication by the American Pain Society, has a long list of studies on the pain-relieving effects of cannabis.
18. Methods such as yoga, Foundation Training, massage, meditation, hot and cold packs, and other mind-body techniques can also result in astonishing pain relief without any drugs.
19. Grounding, or walking barefoot on the earth, may also provide a certain measure of pain relief by combating inflammation.
20. Hypnosis & meditation, Pain is increased when one is stressed out, so getting into a relaxed hypnotic or meditative state will reduce your discomfort.
If you care about keeping the sort of life that you currently have without the mind being hijacked by these drugs, putting you at all sorts of risk, you will do everything you can to stay away from narcotic medication. I can tell you that I have dealt with too many really good people, professional people, who ended up addicted to the stuff after having a surgery. This happened when the lower dose prescribed didn’t quite do the job. Before they realized it they were full blown addicts, unable to stop the habit. In some cases it lead to heroin or cocaine addiction, which are places you really don’t want to ever go if you can help it, which you can. Think before you act, always. Ask your doctor for other alternatives. If you have ANY history of ANY sort of addiction to ANYTHING at all, it is in your best interest to stay away from ANY sort of addictive substance, period. Use the brain G_d gave you to keep you safe from addiction to these terribly destructive drugs.
Quit Anger Quickly
Did you know one of the main reasons people have heart attacks is anger? Avoid being a statistic and purchase the "Quit Anger Quickly" MP3 today, available for download at a reasonable price from the Dawning Visions Hypnosis StoreQuit Anger Quickly
Powered by Facebook Comments